Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Lucy Bee Organic Raw Coconut Oil


I stumbled upon Lucy Bee Extra Virgin Organic Raw Coconut Oil (phew!) when I was looking for a natural cleanser. My beloved Body Shop Vitamin E cleanser was running low and I fancied trying something different. After noticing you can order a brochure to tell you all about the coconut oil I ordered my copy (you can request a copy or view a pdf version here). I expected a few pages telling me how good the product was and where I could purchase it. Instead I received a 28 page little booklet with information on the coconut oil including how it is extracted and why they support fair trade. It also contains recipes, customer comments and a 'day in the life' of Lucy Bee. I was sold.

At £9.95 for a 500ml jar I think this is very reasonable but the lovely Petrina at Lucy Bee very kindly sent me a jar at the beginning of last month and I have been road testing it ever since.
My immediate thoughts are that its a wonder product although you can probably pick that up yourself from the long list of uses (hair conditioner, deodorant, massage oil, oil pulling, spread on toast, use on your roast dinner...).

I initially tried it as a cleanser which is what I was looking for in the first place. I took a ten pence size dollop of the coconut oil, warmed it between my hands and massaged all over my face. The coconut smell is very pleasant and not at all over-powering as you may think. It easily melts away any make up and leaves my skin feeling so nourished and hydrated that I don't even need to use a  moisturiser. In the morning my skin is so soft and there is no oily residue left behind. It's rapidly becoming my 'go to' cleanser.

Trying the oil as a lip balm had a similar and just as fantastic effect - super soft, hydrated & happy lips! I apply a thin layer over my lips as soon as I get out of the shower, especially if I'm wearing lip stick that day as it acts as a protective layer and makes my lipstick go on smoother. Great for cuticles too!

After seeing Lucy tweeting about her granola recipe I decided to give it a whirl and see if this wonder product could really be used in the kitchen too. Loads of recipes and hints & tips can be found on the website which is so useful. The granola was amazing and the subtle coconut flavour really works along side the oats and mixed seeds. Unfortunately cooking isn't my biggest strength but I am keen to try the coconut oil out in other ways as it is a great healthy alternative and adds a lovely flavour. I'll try one of the smoothie recipes next!

Finally I tried oil pulling. Lots of celebrities are claiming that this method is what keeps their teeth so white. One brand which has been endorsed recently is Coco White which I think for 5 small sachets is £20! You can buy a large jar of Lucy Bee for half the price so it just seems bonkers! Apparently oil pulling is an ancient remedy that comes from India which has been found to clean and nourish the teeth and gums. It is a weird sensation at first but I got use to it pretty quickly and my teeth always feel super clean after oil pulling and I think they are slightly whiter.

I have been so surprised how flexible the product is and I'll probably end up needing a jar in every room if I carry on the way I'm going! It contains no gluten, lactose, additives or preservatives. All the details about how the oil is extracted and the fact it's fair trade and really making a difference makes me love it even more. I've only touched on a few uses but head over to the website to find a long list of uses including deodorant, toothpaste and even in your pets food for a shiny coat!

For stockists click here
For more info check out the Lucy Bee website & social media:
www.facebook.com/lucybeecoconutoil
www.twitter.com/lucybeecoconut
www.instagram.com/lucybeecoconut

If you made it to the end of that long post well done & thank you!

xxx
 


4 comments:

  1. wooo I love coconut oil fort cooking but i have never tried this one will have to give it a shot
    www.missljbeauty.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment :) It's great and really good value - available on amazon and some Tescos I believe! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll definitely be ordering this! I've been looking for a good quality coconut oil for ages! Thanks :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Vixx :) It's great and so versatile - some people put a small spoonful into their dogs food to give them an extra shiny coat. I've not tried it with Max yet but Opie might like it xxx

      Delete