Monday, July 13, 2015

Summer at St Andrews

I can't believe it's already been over a month since I visited St Andrew's with my boyfriend on a little 4 day trip and took a stroll down memory lane. I have so many cherished family memories from this small town, that is just under two hours drive away, which is the complete opposite to Lee who had never been before but I knew he would love it as much as I do.


We booked relatively last minute so with The Open Championship coming up on the old course, the hotels were pretty pricey. We ended up staying in a cute little apartment called 'The Wee House' that had everything we could have wanted and really felt like a home away from home. With two bedrooms downstairs, upstairs was a bright open plan living/dining/kitchen area which was ideal for us and although it was right next to a main road, being so close to the centre more than made up for it.
The day we arrived was actually our one year anniversary so we went for dinner at The Glass House located just off the main street in St Andrews. Although it doesn't look like much from the outside, the main restaurant upstairs has friendly staff and delicious food - what more can you ask for?




We wandered home for an early night and decided to get up early the next morning to take a walk along the pier, passing St Andrews Cathedral. Thankfully it was sunny and warm the full time we were there which made exploring the little town so much more enjoyable.

After a visit to Bonkers (a teeny shop packed full of hidden gems) we went for lunch at Forgans which is a new addition since I last visited. The d├ęcor was quirky like something straight out of pinterest and the food, made using local produce, was amazing - Lee is still dreaming of the duck shepherds pie! Well worth a visit.





Before a wander along the beach we went to the aquarium which was a highlight of the whole trip. As well as loads of weird and wonderful fish, you will find penguins, seals, meerkats, poisonous frogs, snakes the list goes on. I got to hold a corn snake and swim with nemo (kind of)! I enjoyed it so much more than I remember as a kid and we spent a good two hours discovering lots of creatures!


Probably Lee's highlight of the week was playing mini golf on the old course. I didn't even know you could do this so it was a new experience for both of us and it was so much fun. The course is actually quite challenging and playing along side professional golfers who are only a matter of meters away is bound to make you competitive. There was a fun, relaxed atmosphere on the busy course and I was so relaxed that I let Lee win!




The post is getting a little long so I'll stop here but we crammed so much more in (botanical garden, Janetta's ice cream, tour round the university with my old friend, visiting Anstruther for the famous fish and chips, more visits to the beach) the list goes on but I cannot recommend St Andrew's enough. There's a gorgeous beach, quirky shops and restaurants, plenty of beautiful places to stay and everything is within walking distance. The perfect relaxing 'staycation'.

Well done getting to the end of that long post!

xx

No comments:

Post a Comment